The Ultimate Hunting Slingshot Buying Guide 2017
Before the invention of gunpowder the bow was the main battle weapon used during conflict. It was a turning point in ancient warfare because it allowed people to kill their enemies from a distance.
It was a major success and started the innovation for long range warfare. Arguably, it was the turning point both for war and for sport.
There is however an underlying question with this.
What was the long range weapon of choice before the bow?
A Precursor to the Bow
The slingshot, some might argue, is considered the ancestor of the bow.
Both of these weapons use the same materials – an elastic band which could propel the ammunition and a strong piece of wood which could withstand the elasticity of the band.
The structure consists of a Y-shaped wood, typically from a branch, and an elastic band bound in between the Y-shape. They were used by people mainly for hunting.
The people were looking for a long range weapon to get close enough to the animals without startling them.
This weapon could also be used to dislodge fruit from the trees above enabling the fruit to fall to the ground.
The Sport of Hunting
Some people question the use of this weapon in the sport of hunting because of the presence of modern rifles and guns.
Enthusiasts argue that the use of this weapon presents an entirely different challenge from the use of guns.
Furthermore, they argue that this weapon depends more on the skill of the user than the weapon itself.
Slingshot hunting has never lost its charm till date. Even though more types of “weapons” have emerged for hunting, a good number of people prefer to hunt with a hunting slingshot due to its ease of use, portability and the intense impact it can inflict with such a small form factor.
As technology is rapidly evolving, slingshot manufacturers are equipping their high end hunting slingshots with features that no one could’ve imagined that it would become a part of traditional slingshots.
Choosing the Best Hunting Slingshot
The best type of weapon to be used for hunting should be able to propel any ammunition for a considerable amount of distance to hit the farthest target possible.
This is done so that the prey cannot detect the presence of the hunter. It should also possess enough durability to last for numerous hunting trips.
The weapon is made of wood and they have the tendency to break if the elastic band is pulled further than its intended elasticity.
They should also possess a wide distance between the Y-shaped handle. This enables the use of ammunition which can range from small rocks to arrows.
Finally, it should possess an elastic band that can be stretched enough to increase strength while maintaining its elasticity which in return will sling the ammunition towards the intended target.
It is to be noted however that the weapon has undergone modernization and has already deviated from the customary wood material. They now employ the use of plastic or metal for the slingshot handle.
Keep scrolling to have a look our hunting slingshot collection that we put together considering all the aspects such as price, ease of use, reliability, accuracy, build quality and durability.
- 1. Spring Adjustable Stainless Steel Hunting Slingshot With Laser
- 2. Assolar SS-28 Powerful Stainless Hunting Laser Slingshot
- 3. Lolbuy Professional Hunting Slingshot
- 4. The Scout Hunting Slingshot
- 5. Tiger Slingshot Steel Hunting Slingshot
- 6. MoreFarther Professional Steel Hunting Slingshot
- 7. Torque Slingshot
- 8. Trumark Slingshot With Fiber Optic Sights, Flashlight and Stabiliser.
- 9. AXE Pro Wood Handle Stainless Steel Slingshot
- 10. VERRY100 Ergonomic Wood Handle Slingshot
- 11. Y Shot Hunting Slingshot
- 12. The Pocket Shot Slingshot
- 13. Thinkbay Olympus Theraband Slingshot
- Best Hunting Slingshot Ammo
1. Spring Adjustable Stainless Steel Hunting Slingshot With Laser
- This catapult is made of high quality die-casting aluminium alloy through camouflage porcelain process to prevent it from fading
- It is equipped with infrared sight and a laser flashlight that helps in aiming with unmatched precision
- It comes with high tension and high speed durable rubber bands
- This is a cold weapon or game tools for exercise arm strength, attention, eyesight, hunting etc.
2. Assolar SS-28 Powerful Stainless Hunting Laser Slingshot
- Slingshot with infrared sight, laser flashlight, a full range of more precise aiming point，Spring accelerates, strength is greater
- Can be installed a arrow pad,used as a bow and arrow launchers（Does not contain the arrow）
- This is a cold weapon or game tools for outdoor sport,most Powerful heavy slingshot please pay attention to safety use
3. Lolbuy Professional Hunting Slingshot
- New design- powerful strength and functionality
- Metal material, a perfect ergonomic design, it’s spring-accelerated for the perfect combination of strength and accuracy
- Strong magnetic wrist, absorption of steel balls.
- Equipped with arrow stand, you can do archery, Laser aiming, Flashlight lighting
4. The Scout Hunting Slingshot
- 100% American made, poly carbonate construction
- The glass filled nylon construction provides an extremely strong and durable frame, capable of withstanding heavy use
- Includes Latex Flatbands and the innovative, easy to use FlipClipsTM
- Includes complete owners manual
- Capable of shooting any elastic available
- Fits any size shooter or shooting style
5. Tiger Slingshot Steel Hunting Slingshot
- ✓ NEW INNOVATED POWER BAND – This slingshot has high quality really strong rubber bands, with make it one of the most powerful slingshots available
- For outdoor hunting of medium-sized game at short ranges and fitness catapult of fowling and fishing
- ✓ FULLY ADJUSTABLE SOLID STEEL FRAME – Black quality steel frame with extra-wide forks will stay in place every time you shoot. Easily adjustable with one big steel screw
- ✓ ERGONOMIC MOLDED NONSLIP HANDLE GRIP – It’s easy to hold and comfortable in hand
- Non-slip and sweat-absorbent kinking handle
- ✓Quality tested and ensured for maximum durability.
6. MoreFarther Professional Steel Hunting Slingshot
- Metal Body and Wrist Support Frame Design – The whole metal body design makes the ejection base more stable. Steady handle and wrist support frame play a greater ejection intensity.
- Magnet Design -The unique reserve marble design magnet makes it possible to quickly replenish the marbles. Yes, so fast!
- Flashlight/Laser Stents Design – You can find all the targets in the night. Quickly and accurately hits the target.
- Pack of 1x Professional Slingshot, 2x Rubber Band(3Strips+2Strips), About 200x Steel Balls,And Screw Key.
7. Torque Slingshot
- Made in the USA from virtually indestructible glass filled nylon
- Ultra pocketable, lightweight, and capable of being fitted with heavy flatbands or tubes for hunting
- Ambidextrous design, great for left or right hand shooters
- Comes standard with 2040 looped tube bandset
- Perfect for the bugout bag or tackle box
- Includes full colour user manual
- Wrist stability and accuracy
- Comfortable to Use and adjust to
- For users all ages from Adults to Children
- The first hunting slingshot designed to hold a Mini Maglite 2AA flashlight. Now you can shoot day or night with bulls-eye accuracy
- At night you can light up and follow targets up to 100 feet distance
- Zero in on the bull’s-eye with the fiber-optic sights. The optic sensors capture light rays which make the red and green sights glow for better shooting accuracy
- The clear plastic-handle slides down the black-nylon frame and releases SA30 5/16″ ammo from the top. When pushed up the ammo chamber becomes “self-sealing”, and traps ammo in the handle
10. VERRY100 Ergonomic Wood Handle Slingshot
- Redesigned with a wooden grip feels great in your hands
- Made of alloy metal
- Great for target practice fun
- Top-grade leather round pouch
- The weight of the slingshot is about 0.18Kg
- Durable and reliable slingshot with high quality tubular thrust bands
- In order to protect the slingshot in transit, the slingshot is not assembled.
11. Y Shot Hunting Slingshot
- A classic slingshot configuration with a rugged modern twist, perfect for target shooting or hunting and a favorite survival aid for campers, preppers, survivalists, hunters, and backpackers
- Fully capable and ready to accept a multitude of Montie Gear attachments to improve your capabilities
- This hunting slingshot is capable of holding the included high performance flat bands as well as a variety of other bands, including homemade ones (think inner tube if you were in a pinch).
- Shoots ammo up to 1 inch in diameter (with the optional triple layer band). Add the optional arrow rest to shoot arrows.
- Frame is lightweight but engineered for strength, using a water jet process to cut the pieces from a sheet of 6061 Aluminum
- Product is locally made in North Carolina
12. The Pocket Shot Slingshot
The Pocket Shot is truly an evolution of the traditional slingshots. Designed in a new way, this new circular hunting slingshot has made it to the travel bags of many hunters. The patented circular design allows users to load and shoot different projectiles at two to three times the rate of a regular slingshot. Perfect for hunters and recreational use as its tiny size allows you to keep it in your pocket, tackle box, or backpack while storing ammo in its watertight compartment. Up to 350 feet per second, the Pocket Shot is not a toy. Created and built in the USA, the production team takes pride in their epic invention and hopes you enjoy it as much as they do.
Buy from Amazon UK
- With the patented design, the world’s only circular slingshot manufacturer
- NEW HIGH IMPACT INNER RING MATERIAL – Won’t chip, crack or break.
- Up to 350 ft per second, and tiny in size (only 2.3 in by 1.3 in when closed).
- Store ammo inside of the unit with it’s water tight cap.
- Includes two replaceable Pouches. One standard and one Pro-pouch.
13. Thinkbay Olympus Theraband Slingshot
- The catapult is made of high-end wood with fine detailed texture and smooth surface,It is modest luxury and offers pure natural skin feel
- The narrowing slots are innovatively designed for equipping theraband can be fixed tightly,Considerate arc head reduce the abrasion of rubber bands
- Elaborate handle accords with the holding hand palm and drives the fingers stressed equally,offering excellent hand feel
- Package included:1 PCS Olympus Slingshot+2 PCS Pipe Rubber Bands+1 PCS Two Stripes Theraband
Extra Tips For Finding Or Building Hunting Slingshots
First of all, keep in mind that slingshot hunting is certainly nothing new; in fact, it is been around for quite some time now. In fact, this is what King David use to slay Goliath way back thousands of years ago.
When looking for the right hunting slingshots, there are certainly some very important things immediately to mind. First of all, safety is always the number one consideration. Remember these slingshots can be very dangerous, and you certainly kill somebody if you aren’t careful and accidentally hit another hunter out in the fields.
Also, they can break windows, and cause all sorts of damage. Remember, never use them for personal protection; somebody could easily be killed by one. Therefore, use them when hunting and only hunting.
Another great thing about slingshots is that they are very affordable. Compared to guns, you can purchase them or very cheaply, and can often times make them yourselves as well.
However, even if you do purchase them from a store, you can usually find the much cheaper and you could ever find guns. When you do look for slingshots, try to find them at discount websites. Usually, they will sell these slingshots at either or wholesale or even below wholesale prices in some cases.
Also, you might look into constructing them yourself. For this you can simply go on to the Internet and type in how to build a slingshot, and literally millions of results will come up to teach you how to do this. Hopefully these hunting slingshots tips will give use of information you need to enjoy a lifetime of a lot of fun with slingshots.
Best Hunting Slingshot Ammo
A great choice to use with most brands of slingshots, BC Precision Slingshot Ammo helps you get the most out of your slingshot. Suitable for hunting and target shooting, this shot is perfectly shaped, giving you an easy grip for a smooth pull back to shooting position with less hand strain. Grade A balls are perfectly round with no flat spots for smooth, accurate flight.
- Great ammo for most hunting slingshots
- No.1 bestseller in steel slingshot ammo
- Tried and tested by many hunters
- Suitable for slingshot hunting or target shooting
- Smooth shape for great feel and long flight